The authors of the newly released book, It’s Even Worse Than It Looks, talked to NPR about the ideological extremism of the modern Republican Party and how it has led to a political climate more dysfunctional than ever before.
“I don’t believe in a golden mean; I don’t believe you find policy wisdom between two polar points. I don’t dismiss that possibility, but I look at the platform that’s so ideologically based, that’s so dismissive of facts, of evidence, of science, and it’s frankly hard to take seriously.”
Media sexualization of women and the pressure on women involved in sports to appear as “real women” means wearing make-up, appearing and acting feminine. Some researchers blame homophobia in sports for the need to present heterosexual images. Driven by fears of being labelled as lesbians, women athletes seek to project an over-emphasized heterosexual, feminine image.
—How Equality In Sports is Undermined by Compulsory Heterosexuality (via sociolab)
But the (hetero)sexualization of women athletes keeps women in their place, whether they are playing or coaching in “male” sports or ones considered more “feminine appropriate.” Compulsory heterosexuality and the sexualization of women are very effective tools in the treatment of women athletes as second-class citizens and they also diminish women’s talents as athletes and coaches.
When you discuss the wage gap, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Only white women make $0.77 to a man’s dollar.
- Black women make about $0.68 to a man’s dollar.
- Latina women make about $0.58 to a man’s dollar.
And men of color make less than white women.
- White Feminist: Hip-hop is the most disgusting, vile garbage ever created. Chris Brown and Tyler the Creator should be ashamed of themselves for supporting the stereotype that black men have to hate women. The misogyny from the hip-hop community has gotten so bad that I can barely pass by a black man on the street without fearing for my life, and that's the patriarchy's fault. Anyone who listens to that trash is just supporting the marginalization of women by these ignorant, shitty "musicians."
- Me: Hey... that's kind of a fucked up thing to say--
- White Feminists all over Tumblr: OMG DID YOU SEE THAT? HOW COULD HE ATTACK HER LIKE THAT? WHAT A FUCKING SCUMBAG.
I wish Avatar lasted for 5000 episodes and it was actually real life
those 2/3 of Afghans – something like 20 million people – face PTSD or other mental disorders with only FORTY-TWO psychiatrists and psychologists in the entire country.
you know what sucks?
who even thought of art
more like fart
Vincent Van Go Get A Real Job You Dirty Hippie
Tendou Souji was literally a god among men.
… is suffering. >:
I open the curtains. (a)
The shutters make way to the sides. (b)
The window is lifted. (c)
(In emotion), the wind’s existence as a gentle breeze or a bellowing gust (compares) to how much you (a)
Sometimes you can see and feel more, but still the words you are at a loss for.